Youth Exchange Host Families Needed
Host families who reside in the State College School District are needed for two youth exchange students: a 17 year old female from Brazil and a 17 year old male from Ecuador. Host families for the second half of the academic year (late December though June) have already been identified. Host families are needed beginning late August. A family does not have to be able to provide for the entire August to December period, but we can’t move forward until the initial host families have been obtained.
Host family responsibilities
Rotary Youth Exchange host families provide room and board for the exchange student. Families are also expected to exercise general parental supervision over the student just as you would your own children, and involve him or her in daily household chores and activities.
Most host families' involvement with their student does not stop at room and board. The families often share their native background while also learning about their visitors' culture. This does not mean that you have to arrange elaborate entertainment, but simply make the student a part of your family. Give him or her the opportunity to share in the same aspects of your family life that most teenage students experience in your culture.
Other suggested host family responsibilities include:
* meeting your exchange student on arrival in your country and making the student feel at home as part of the family;
* helping the student master the language;
* involving the student in obligations similar to those established for your own family members;
* helping the student meet Rotary obligations, which usually include attending Rotary functions, including club and/or district meetings;
* seeing that the student meets other young people;
* providing a safe environment for the student and ensuring the student's safety;
* being tolerant of differences and willing to change your own ideas.
Additional information is available at http://www.exchangestudent.org/
Questions or interest may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Weekly Meetings: Thursdays @ 12 noon
Ramada Inn & Conference Center
1450 S. Atherton Street
State College, PA 16801
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 10742
State College, PA 16805-0742
RI Club #: 24095